Poison alert!

If your pet has been poisoned, give orally 3% Peroxyde, the kind you purchase at any pharmacy. Do not use the stronger, concentrated peroxide found in hair color, use only the three percent kind. The dose is one teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight. The hydrogen peroxide must be given orally to your pet. You can mix it with a ice cream or honey to make it tasty. If it’s a dog you should walk him around for a few minutes to get him moving, which will help the hydrogen peroxide do its work. If it’s a cat, try to get him moving If your pet doesn’t vomit within 15 minutes, you can give him a second dose. However, if another 15 minutes pass and he still hasn’t vomited, don’t give him a third dose of the hydrogen peroxide. It’s time to call your veterinarian.

When Should You NOT Induce Vomiting?

Circumstances in which you should not make your pet throw up include:

  • When he’s already throwing up. Don’t induce more vomiting in an already vomiting animal, because you can incite a worse vomition response.
  • If your pet has lost consciousness and/or if she’s very weak or has trouble standing. Do not induce vomiting in this situation because aspiration pneumonia, which can result when an animal inhales vomit into its lungs, can become a secondary problem.
  • If your pet has swallowed bleach, a drain cleaner, or a petroleum distillate. These chemicals can cause burning as they are swallowed, and secondary additional burns as they come back up. Don’t induce vomiting if your pet has swallowed a caustic substance.
  • If it has been over two hours since your pet ingested a potential toxin. Once a substance enters your pet’s small intestine, vomiting will not clear the stomach of that toxin. Inducing vomiting in a dog or cat that has already digested a potential toxin won’t be effective in ridding her body of the substance.

Summer Pet tips by Dr Karen Becker

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.